Monday, April 26, 2010

These two clung to Cristin and I throughout the whole morning conference.


Left: this boy was watching us through the underground church window the whole time with a smile. Right: She is a church leader and translator
The kids got a little out of hand with wanting to have their picture taken so we played a little impromtu Simon Says ("hands up" "hands down" "turn around")

God is here. I can feel him in the children's smiles. I can feel him in the clouds. I can feel him in the thunder. I can feel him in the sugar fields. I can feel him in the baby goats. I can feel him in the red dirt that is stained on my skin. I can feel him in the way the children hold my hand. I can feel him in the trees. I can feel him in the worship of Ugandan women lifting their voices together and sharing their testimony. I can feel him in the wind that blows against my face through the bus window. I want everyone to feel him here. I want people to see what poverty looks like and have their heart break for it and for the way we live our lives. I want to keep this feeling of love mixed with pain when this girl is pushing others away just to be as close as she can to me. I want to remember this feeling of deep compassion when I meet eyes of the boy through the window with the smile. I want to always hold the hand of the little girl, her dark skin contrasting with mine, as she laced her two hands with mine.
I'm not feeling well. I had to miss half of the day to try and rest. Please pray that my stomach will feel better and my body will cease to hurt. Tomorrow Cristin and I will be leading a children's group. I could not be happier, I already love the kids that I've seen the past few days with all of my heart.

1 comment:

kristina said...

I love what you wrote, thank you for sharing.